Review: Fox Proframe MIPS

Introduction

Fox took the enduro crowd by storm in 2017 when they launched the new Proframe full-face helmet. While other manufacturers like Giro and Bell, tinkered with their removable chin guards, Fox took a different approach and decided to keep the chin guard and integrated part of the helmet, while lightening the construction for better ventilation and still retaining full ASTM DH certification. And yes, they did it right!

I also own a Bell Super 2R, which albeit having been superseded by the 3R and later the Super DH, was one of the first convertible helmets. I have always liked the fit of Bell helmets and had they come out with a similar design as the Proframe, I probably would've remained loyal to the brand, but for true enduro / DH riding I just wasn't happy with a removable chin guard. I suppose one could argue that the Super DH is also ASTM DH certified, but I find the design too bulky for use without the chin guard, so why have a convertible helmet? I also found that the Super 2R doesn't breathe that well with the chin guard in place, and the Super DH looks even more restrictive.

The Proframe meets or exceeds the following certifications:
  • ASTM F1952 (including chin bar rigidity test)
  • EN 1078
  • AS/NZ 2063
  • CPSC

Proframe models

The color selection is quite comprehensive and there are two versions available: With and without MIPS. The selection is available on Fox's Website but local offering may vary.

I found mine at a crazy good deal for only 140EUR. The MSRP here in Europe is 250-300EUR, so more or less in-line with the Super DH and "enthusiast" level full-face helmets like the Bell Full-9 or 100% Aircraft (non-carbon version). Being a close-out deal at one of my local shops I didn't get to choose my color, but the flat black is quite nice and easy to mix with different color riding gear.

Fit and finish

MIPS is a company offering their rotational protection technology to different helmet manufacturers. The benefits of the system are subject to much controversy and some people dislike the feeling of having the retention system move somewhat independent of the helmet shell, but  being the tech geek I am, I had to have everything so MIPS it was for me. The good price may have helped making this decision. However, with the Proframe the sensation of the helmet rotating on your head is greatly diminished as the cheek pads still keep the helmet nice and snug on  your head. It's also worth noting that there is no separate retention system like with the Bell Super helmets, for example, but rather the Proframe fits like a true full-face helmet with removable and swappable pads, of which all but the cheek and neck pads are attached to the yellow MIPS layer.


I'm usually a size Large in Bell, Met and Giro helmets, but the Fox fit is different so I opted for XL instead. My head is 60,5cm in diameter so the Fox sizing chart would put me at a size Large, but having a rather high forehead meant I was more comfortable in the XL with the thickest pads fitted.



The helmet comes with a soft carry bag / pouch and a set of different pads:
- 2 sets of identical brow pads, one fitted and one spare
- 2 sets of identical crown pads, one fitted and one spare
- 3 sets of cheek pads, Thin, Medium and Thick
- 2 sets of neck pads, thin and thick
I'm currently running a combination of the thickest cheek pads and a thin neck pad. According to Fox, all pads are anti-microbial and washable. The Fox sizing chart can be found below, but also on their website.



The shell of the helmet is composite covered Styrofoam, which Fox calls the "dual density Varizorb liner". The visor is plastic and rigidly mounted, so adjusting it is not possible. It, the MIPS liner and the riveted-in chin strap are the only separate pieces of the helmet, so the construction feels extremely solid and well put together. The chin guard has what feels like dense memory foam on the inside to reduce the risk of injury upon impact. The back of the helmet is shaped to help retain a goggle strap.


The chin strap is fitted with a magnetic clasp from Fidlock and is extremely easy to use. Some will say it's not as solid as a true D-ring, but to me it feels sturdy enough.

Ride impressions

I don't ride true DH, and so far all of my enduro and bike park riding has been non-competitive apart from chasing Strava KOMs. Thus my main requirements for a good full-face helmet are fit and breathability. The Proframe fits the bill in both cases, even taking breathability to a whole new level when compared to the competition. There are a total of 24 vents on the helmet, all decent or in case of the chin guard, even ridiculous in size. Out on the trails it's very easy to forget you're wearing a full-face helmet as the Proframe just breathes so well! It's somewhat heavier than a trail helmet, but still acceptable at 750g (claimed) for size Medium and 825g (measured) for my melon head sized XL.

The MIPS liner extends quite far forward, so my only gripe with the fit is that if you don't position the brow pad carefully or have a sloping forehead, the MIPS liner may dig into your skin and cause discomfort. Perhaps another downside is that since the helmet is so open, it doesn't give you that extra sense of security you get from a more enclosed full-face helmet.

Conclusion

All in all I'm extremely pleased with this helmet, especially considering the very competitive price I got it at! A few of my riding buddies use the same helmet and their findings and opinions reflect mine: The fit is easy to dial with the provided pads, ventilation is second-to-none and at least the promises of safety are reassuring.

Comments