Sram quietly updating Eagle?

I suffered the infamous stick-in-the-mech today during a prep ride for tomorrow’s race. Luckily enough my local bike shop Sporthammer was open and I was able to get a replacement mech and fit it in time to attend the race. I have run my current GX Eagle for around 4100km and it has been inconsistent, to be honest. When properly adjusted it works great, but I’d still suffer the occasional out-of-sync bang on the 2 largest cogs and totally random clicking noise on the 18t gear.


New 2019 pulley
Old style pulley. Notice the lack of the raised section that runs at the bottom diameter of the teeth on the new one


What I found when replacing my derailleur today was that Sram have indeed updated the GX Eagle since its launch. My old mech was from 2018 and the new 2019 model has 2 major differences:
1.) The lower narrow-wide pulley has been changed to that from the X01/XX1, which makes it impossible for the chain to drop between the pulley and the cage. This is a known problem and I’m happy to say it has been fixed!
2.) The actual hinge connecting the mech to the hanger seems to have much less play. Honestly, it could just be that my old part was just worn, but the difference is noticeable.

Perhaps this is Sram giving the GX a more noticeable edge over NX?

Comments