New Bike Day - Yeti SB150

When Yeti released the SB100, followed closely by the SB150 and SB130 I just knew I had to own one of these beauties from Colorado and sooner rather than later! I used to ride in the early 2000s when I was in my teens and ever since I have lusted over 2 brands, both of which were and still are considered unicorns here in Finland: Yeti and Intense. I was THAT close to pulling the trigger on an Intense Carbine when they introduced their new direct-to-consumer business model, which significantly lowered their prices, but looking at the geometry one must ask if the Intense is truly a "new" model. The geometry is far from the modern long-low-and-slack trend with standover and stack about 40-50mm taller than the Yeti. The only things keeping me away from Yeti have previously been: Price, short reach figures and no option to run a bottle in the SB4.5/5.5, for example. the new SB series fixed everything but the price issue.

A friend of mine got the SB100 as soon as it was released. I had to wait a bit longer to gather the funds for this dream build. The moment of truth came about in August 2019 when a Spanish dealer LTM Racing in Madrid, Spain, listed several of the new Yeti models with 2018 colors on eBay, probably pending the release of the 2019 colors. I contacted Felix at LTM immediately and pulled the trigger on an SB150 Turq frame in size Large, and in turquoise color, of course, and a Fox 36 170mm GRIP2 Factory fork to math. My initial plan was to go for an SB130, but as I already own a 110mm XC/Trail bike, the Norco Optic, I decided something a bit more "Enduro" was in order. I would have loved to have an orange fork, but as LTM gave me a great deal on a black one I'll need to change my initial plan for the color scheme a bit by going from orange details to yellow.

This is the initial build where I have used several parts, like the GX Eagle groupset, Sram Code-R brakes, Raceface Six-C handlebar and Tranz-X dropper from my old Norco Range A9.1. The final build will happen in the next 2 months as I, again, gather more funds for more parts. More on that later when I finally finish this project! 

Full spec:
- Yeti SB150 Turq frame, Large + Fox X2 factory shock
- Fox 36 170mm GRIP2 Factory 44mm offset + Syncros fender
- Sram GX Eagle groupset + KMC TI gold chain (will be upgraded to XX1 eagle + X01 cranks soon!)
- Trail wheels: Mavic XA Elite + Schwalbe rubber
- Enduro / Park wheels: Newmen SL A30 laced to Sram 900 hubs with Sapim CX-Ray + Maxxis rubber
- Sram Code R brakes, 200mm/180mm rotors (Still need a longer brake hose for the rear brake)
- Raceface SixC 35x800m carbon bar, cut down to 780mm (will be replaced by a OneUp bar soon!)
- Raceface Aeffect-R 40mm stem (will be replaced by an Industry nine stem soon!)
- Ergon SME3 saddle
- Ergon GA2 grips (will be replaced by different grips in yellow soon)
- Tranz-X 150mm dropper post (will be replaced with a OneUp 180mm dropper soon!)
- Shimano XT trail pedals
- Cane Creek 40 IS41/IS52 headset
- Sram PF bottom bracket
- OneUp EDC tool and topcap
- Elite Cannibal XC bottle cage

Current build weighs in at 14,13kg, including pedals, so the final build will likely be somewhere around 13,8kg.

Frame on the stand, ready for assembly
Frame protection is a must on such a beautiful piece of carbon art!

Not bad for a 150mm 29er frame, including rear shock




Comments