Review: OneUp Components V2 ISCG05 chain guide

Have you ever been in the middle of a "maximum attack" run at a race or on a Strava segment chasing that one elusive KOM or even a PR, and had you chain drop? I'm sure many of us have. The new 1-by drivetrains and narrow-wide chain rings have all but eliminated chain drops, but they still happen and usually at the most inopportune times. Myself, I don't run a chain guide on my trail bike, but when I got the Yeti SB150, I knew I wanted one, be it necessary or not.

OneUp's solution

OneUp recently annouced the version 2, or "V2", of their proven chain guide and as I had other things to order, like their BEAUTIFUL carbon bars and a 170mm dropper, I decided to go for the their chain guide as well for good karma. And it was available in turquoise!

My frame is equipped with ISCG05 tabs around the bottom bracket, so chosing the correct one was easy. However, should yours be different, OneUp also make their guide in direct mount and ISCG03 fitments.

In the package you will find a very nicely machined 7075 aluminum bracket that is height adjustable, a black glass reinforced thermoplastic chain guide, a set of guide shims and stainless steel mounting screws + 2.5mm washers, allowing for a total of 7.5mm of sideways adjustment. This makes the guide compatible with non-boost, boost and even superboost chain lines and 26-38 tooth chain rings. You can order a different color guide, and the selection is quite nice with black, turquoise, blue, green, orange, purple and red options. At 40g it's also nice and light, not that it matters that much on an enduro bike like the SB150. The guide itself can be flipped without any tools, should you break or drop a chain, or even to make removing the chain for cleaning easier.

Installation

Installation of the guide is straight forward and doesn't require removing the cranks from the bike. I found it easiest to remove the guide with a 4mm allen wrench, loosely place the bracket on the ISCG05 tabs and check the required guide height. OneUp claim this is possible to adjust with the bracket installed, but it was not so with my 32t chain ring, so I checked the required height adjustment, removed the bracket, adjusted and re-installed. Spacing the bracket took a bit of effort as the 2,5mm spacers included proved to be too thick. I opted to use 2x0,5mm stainless steel washers I had and 1 shim under the guide itself. This aligned the guide perfectly with my chain line, and I get no rub in any gear. Mind you the gap in the guide is still quite narrow, so it will like not work with wider 9 or 10-speed chains.

Conclusion

Did I make the right choice? I think yes. The fit and finish is excellent, it came in the color I wanted and priced at 54USD (including the special color guide, MSRP 49USD) or around 48EUR, I'm very happy with the product. Recommended!

Comments