Industry Nine developing Hydra?

I got my i9 Hydra hub as soon as they came out, and reviewed it sometime ago here: Review: Industry Nine Hydra Rear Hub - Got POE? In my review I mentioned my dissatisfaction with the bearing life. I changed the non-driveside bearing some time ago, and picked up a replacement bearing kit during my last visit to the US from Piney Mountain Bike Lounge, to issue the driveside bearing as well.

I was surprised to find out that the bearings have changed ever so slightly! My original driveside bearing is an Enduro 15307LLB, and the kit came with 15307LLB/LLU. What is the difference, you may ask? The seals. The Enduro website give a comprehensive explanation of the differences as follows:
 Putting it simply: The LLB is a good system for road bikes, which don't see a lot of grime and water, to improve rolling resistance, where as LLU is more suited for applications where the bearings come in constant contact with the elements. Thus my recommendation is that if you get the new bearings with LLB on one side and LLU on the other, install the LLU seal to face outside. It's nice to see Industry Nine are making an effort to improve the bearing life, as in my opinion 1000km is just appaling!



Comments