E13 TRS+ 12-speed 9-46 cassette: Final verdict

Back in September 2019 I posted my initial review of the E13 TRS+ 12-speed cassette. Now after 4902km the cassette is done and I've scrapped it, so I decided to write a little post-mortem analysis of how it did.



When I got the cassette, I struggled with getting it to work creak-free and I finally found that a grease with MOS2 (Molybdenum Disulfide) additives, similar to the Yeti Switch Infinty grease or grease, which is used in constant velocity (CV) joints in cars is the right stuff. Applied to the contact surfaces between the cassette halves I could get about 2000km on it without a peep!

The final KM tally, ~5000km, is about what I would have expected from the cassette. Shifting was still crisp up to this point, but it was clear the chain was starting to catch the bases of the teeth and skip in the worst worn gears 10 and 11. I had 2 old chains that I ran on the cassette and also tested a new and a very slightly used X01 Eagle chain, but with poor results. Only the chains worn past the 0,5 mark would work as the cassette was in such poor shape.

We'll see how this compares to the GX Eagle with ~1500km that I've now put back on the bike, but so far, if you can get the E13 cassette for less than 200€ I would consider it over GX or even the much more expensive X01 Eagle cassettes.

Comments