Review: OneUp Components carbon handlebar

OneUp components, known for their EDC tool system and pedals, announced the EDC stem and carbon handlebar in 2019 with the goal of making inherintly stiff 35mm bars a bit more compliant and comfortable. Enough so, to claim their bar is the most comfortable 35mm diameter carbon bar in the world!



I have previous experience with Raceface's Next-R and Six-C carbon bars, and out of those two, the Next-R is by far more comfortable. I actually first built my Yeti with a Six-C bar, but as I was not happy with the color scheme, which cannot be changed on the Raceface bars without custom decals, I decided to go for the OneUp offering. Priced at $138 US / 129,50€ directly from the OneUp website and with free shipping, it was about 20€ more expensive than a Raceface Next-R bar would have been from my local shop, but still well within reason for a carbon bar.

Build quality

There's only one word to describe the OneUp bars: BEAUTIFUL! The carbon layup is visible underneath the semi-gloss lacquer and does it look good! In the right light it's just a thing of beauty, but almost impossible to capture on camera



Available in 20mm rise and weighing 220grams or 35mm rise and 225grams, the bar is about on par with most carbon offerings like Raceface's Next-R. It's only available in a width of 800mm with 8° Back and 5° Up sweep. I have mine cut down to 780mm, and the ends of the bar are marked to make cutting easier.

The bar can be ordered with different color decals. I got mine black, but other options are available for an extra 5€:
- Orange
- Turquoise
- Blue
- Green
- Red
- Purple
- White



The talking point is definitely the shape. Where as traditional bars are round, the OneUp changes from the 35mm clamp diameter to an oval shape and back to the standard 22.2mm diameter for the grips, controls, etc. This design is meant to improve vertical compliance, but make the bar laterally stiff. OneUp claim there is 22% increase in vertical compliance and a 28% increase in steering stiffness. Compared to what, who knows?

Ride impressions

Does the bar live up to OneUp's wild claims? I must admit, the vertical compliance is noticeable, but only if you install the bar correctly. There is a handy scale printed next to the clamp diameter, but I found I like mine rotated backward a little bit more than what the scale would suggest for my bike's head angle. There is also a nice scale / checkering next to the grips to make aligning your controls a breeze. Nice!

Out on the trail the bar feels very much like the Raceface Next-R bar: It dampens vibration much better than an aluminum bar, and I have not had any issues with excessive flex, or stiffness for that matter.

Conclusion

The rise and size options are a bit more limited than some other bars, but I think OneUp have chosen a sweetspot for most riders.

The only downside of the special shape of the bar is that some bar mounted accessories, such as lights, may not stay put very well. It really depends on your particular accessory.

With a beautiful finish, attractive price tag and at least in my opinion, perfect looks, I can't fault this bar. The finish seems very durable and the printed installation aiding scales are a nice touch, so I will happily buy these bars again for my next bike. Recommended!

Build quality: 5/5
Price: 4.5/5
Size options: 3.5/5
Ride impressions: 5/5

Comments