Review: WTB Silverado Carbon saddle


Saddles are probably the most rider specific part of the bike and it can be a pain in the a** to select the right one, literally! WTB have been in the business of caring for riders' behinds for 38 years and saw their humble beginnings in California in 1982. I think it's safe to say they have busted their a**es for long enough to know what they are doing. Mandatory ass-related puns aside, let's see what the Silverado is like!

The Silverado saddle is one of the brand's more iconic models, and retains the distinct WTB shape, but is flatter and longer than the Volt, for example. This, in my opinion, makes it a better saddle for situation where you need to move around on the bike, where as the Volt, which I also own, is clearly more comfort and stationary riding oriented.

As with most WTB saddles, the Silverado is offered in widths of "narrow" and "medium", so those who prefer a wide bench are out of luck. A number of rail materials are offered at different price levels:
- Steel rails = 295/310g = $39,95 / ~35€
- Cromoly rails = 265/270g = €79,95 / ~75€
- Titanium rails = 200/204g = $129.95 / ~110€
- Carbon rails = 176/181g = $249,95 / ~190€
Most OEM bikes that come with the Silverado will likely have one of the two heavier options. I opted for the lightest, top-of-the-line version with carbon rails as I was fortunate enough to find one at a ridiculously low price in the right width and color. Otherwise I would have likely opted for the 50% cheaper titanium version.

I went for the narrow version, which measures approximately 130mm as my seatbone width is only about 100mm. Weighing in at just 172 grams, measured, it's a good 80 grams lighter than my previous Ergon SME.

Build quality

WTB have done an excellent job with the finish on the Silverado! Mine is the black-gold version and all the details like the printing is nice and crisp. Parts fit together perfectly and there are no gaps or other nasties visible anywhere. The carbon weave on the rails also looks great close-up!

Ride impressions

I like to run my saddles with the nose tilted slightly downward and I have retained  the same saddle position for the Silverado.

Coming from an Ergon SME, the Silverado is definitely harder, but at the same time also better built. The Ergon rails would have an ever so slight amount of movement in their mounts and ended up creaking if the rails are not lubricated where they join the saddle body. So far I have not noticed anything of the sort with the Silverado.

The flat shape is something you either like or dislike, but coming from Ergon I'm used to a flat saddle. The center relief is much more prominent on the Silverado, but overall the SME is perhaps still the more comfortable of the two and puts just a tad less pressure on the very tips of your seatbones like the Silverado does.

Conclusion

This is my second venture into WTB saddles and so far I'm pleased with the purchase, but not over the moon. The saddle is beautifully made and light, and comfortable enough, but I think I will go back to Ergon for my next perch.

Build quality: 5/5
Price: 1.5/5 (depends on rail material)
Size options: 3/5
Ride impressions: 3.5/5

Comments