Fixing Shimano XT/XTR M8100/M9100 leak from master cylinder end cap

EDIT 29.4.2023: Thanks to Oliver for pointing out that Shimano have now made spare diaphragms and instructions on how to replace them available to the public! https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/MADBR01/replace_diaphram


This is a description of how I went about repairing leaking M9100 brake lever. Only attempt at your own risk!

I’m running XTR M9100 brakes on my Mondraker F-Podium DC and they come with the BL-M9100 master cylinders / levers. I recently discovered a leak on my rear brake lever where fluid was seeping out of the master cylinder’s black plastic end cap. I got a new lever under warranty, installed and bled it and all was peachy until a few rides in “POP” and the end cap was leaking again! The brake still works as long as the bike is kept right side up so I’ve kept riding.

The other night I went to replace the brake pads on my front brake and even took precaution to open the bleed screw on the master cylinder when pushing the caliper pistons in. Mind you, this isn’t something Shimano even mention in their instructions, but low and behold, “POP”! And now both of my master cylinders were leaking from the end cap!

Shimano, in their infinite marketing wisdom, have decided not to make spares available for these brakes so you’re stuck with replacing the entire lever at around 100€ each! Even dealers don't have access to spares, so this effectively makes Shimano brake levers and calipers one-time-use items.


This is a common problem in the following the new Shimano i-Spec EV levers:

BL-M7100 SLX

BL-M8100 XT

BL-M9100 / BL-M9120 XTR


Preventative measures

There are 2 ways to prevent the diaphragm from potentially rupturing. These may or may not work. They didn't for me.

1.) Only bleed the brakes using the Shimano bleed block to prevent over filling

2.) Open the lever bleed screw when changing the pads and pushing the pistons in


The repair

There is a rubber diaphragm under the black plastic end cap, which either seems to deteriorate or is so thin that it ruptures very easily even when pushing pistons in to change pads.

In order to access the diaphragm, you need to open the end cap. It’s held in place by a set screw by the lever. Once the screw is opened the cap can be pulled off to gain access to the diaphragm. In order to pull the end cap off I recommend making an M4 thread on the end cap and using a screw to pull it out. You can pry the cap off, but this will leave marks.


Once you have the diaphragm out, clean it with alcohol and use rubber cement to fix the hole / tear.


The next step is to make an M4 thread on the end cap, if you haven’t already to make pulling it out easier. I threaded a short M4x6 stop screw into the hole and sealed the thread with a sealing compound. This addition is not necessary to fix the leak, as the now glued diaphragm is what keeps the oil in. I decided to add the stop screw for extra security and to keep crud out of the glued diaphragm.

EDIT: I have since learned it’s not a good idea to seal the hole, so only make the thread to help remove the end cap!


Conclusion

This is a modification / repair to do at your own risk! The ruptured diaphragm is a VERY common problem with Shimano brakes and perhaps it's necessary to raise discussion on the futility of offering one-time use parts in the modern world where sustainability is a bigger and bigger concern for many companies. To me this shows complete disregard of the environment by Shimano and I hope they will reconsider their policy on offering brake spares.

Comments

  1. Hello ! i have exact same issue ! Could you please show some details about how you extract this diaphragm ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Petou, check out this thread on the MTBR forum for additional pix. I swear this forum has every DIY fix ever: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2011-xtr-m985-brakes-leaking.750869/page-2

      Delete
    2. Thank you Dani-B, I've checked mtbr without success, you point me to the right direction :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your post Juho, I have this issue on a BL-MT500 rear after I burst it (forgot to open the bleed screw when resetting the pistons). You are the first person who's taken the time to take images of this process, most just describe it with text. However like petoulachi, more step-by-step images are needed for extracting the diaphragm and self-threading the end cap. Now to locate the set screw on my model...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad to help! Look for an update soon! I'm not sure if the MT500 lever is the same though.

      Delete
  3. Having this problem too. I just assumed the oil was supposed to leak out there, for some dumb reason. I am going to attempt this since I can't stop anymore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, it worked perfectly with a MT200 too.
    Instead of rubber cement, I cut a piece of rubber from an old tube and glued with cyanoacrylate.
    Just make sure to clean perfectly with isopropilic alcool

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the post, I'm having the same problem, oil is leaking during the bleeding process as well when I'm pushing the pistons back. However, I found that during bleeding process I can stop the leakage by pressing the diaphragm hole with my finger. It will not solve the problem but the brakes will keep running quite well.
    I guess the diaphragm was designed to be unidirectional to release the oil pressure. (Nir)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man ! Can´t thank you enough for this !! Managed to repair my m8100 without any problems !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is actually important that you DO NOT PLUG THE PLASTIC END CAP with an M4 bolt. The purpose of this bladder is to allow air into the bladder to compensate for brake pad wear. The air gets in through that hole in the plastic piece. As the pads wear, fluid will migrate from the master cylinder to the caliper. When sealed, this little rubber bladder guy will suck air in through the hole and balloon up to displace the fluid yet still keep the hydraulic system tight without air ingress.

    The little balloon here is just a weak point. I actually popped it the same way by being hasty and compressing the piston too quickly with a bleed bowl attached. A design that certainly could be improved but a little dab of rubber cement will fix it. Once you are losing fluid through this spot, the brake is ruined and will allow bite point issues as well as near brake failure if you lay the bike on that side and the fluid escapes.

    Excellent post on the repair process!! Just dont plug that plastic hole, only repair the bladder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this! I realized it later myself and have updated the description.

      Delete
  8. Infound this instruction on Shimano website :

    https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/MADBR01/replace_diaphram

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment